How to Get Started with Estate Planning
Trust or will — how do you know what you'll need? Here are some questions
you’ll want to review with spouse, friends, and/or family. Attorney Lorenz Schuerch
will also help advise you on these considerations when moving forward in estate planning.
- Are there children involved?
- How large is the estate, and which state is it in?
- If you have any type of retirement account, such as a 401(k), 403(b), IRA,
or Roth IRA, can its distribution to the beneficiaries be "stretched"?
- Is privacy important?
- Would you like some money to go to charities?
- If you own a business, have you thought about succession planning?
- What life stage are you in? Is estate planning becoming more important?
- Are there special circumstances to consider (like blended families or disabilities)?